Program failure

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Program failure

Postby newbobble » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:22 am

I've got my old sky+ drive hooked by IDE and it's recognised by WinXP as drive H - yay!

However +extract version 0.3.0.7 starts the DriveScan and then fails with a message: SmartExceptionCore.UnhandledException @ 868.offset.38. I can click Don't Send (though strangely Send Error Report is greyed out) and select 'Ignore this error and attempt to continue' but the scan just doesn't go anywhere.

On +extract version 0.4.0.6 the program starts the scan, seems to find the drive, I say seems because a second later it crashes out completely- not before getting payment for a licence of course :-).

I'm running winxp home, SP3 and have the latest .net framework and Visual C runtime installed, I've disabled my virus checker/monitor and am now at a loss, with a very unhappy 4 year old demanding to know where his Cbeebies recordings have gone.

Any clues, suggestions gratefully received.
newbobble

Re: Program failure

Postby neildo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Bob,

First thing I'd recommend you do is to make an XTV image of your Sky+ hard disk using Copy+ (you only need to select the recordings you want to keep if space is at a premium).

+Extract supports using Copy+ XTV images as real disks. Simply right click the hard disk window and 'Mount XTV image'

If Copy+ is unable to image the drive then I'm not sure what I can do for you... Stuart (pcbbc) is more capable in this area than me.

Neil.
neildo
Expert

Postby newbobble » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks Neil,

here's a little more information:

it took about 4 goes but finally got v0.4.0.6 to be stable enough to accept the licence cut and paste, which then allowed for the scan to continue.

It places Disk 0 (my local drive H (+sky)) in the left hand window (yay), but this then expands to show two 'drive' options marked N/A.

Needless to say neither option can be selected as a source disk.

I'll try copy+ and see what happens.
newbobble

Postby neildo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am

Forgot to mention that if you image the drive, remove it from your pc before running +Extract again. It defaults to parsing the first XTV disk it finds and if its having problems with the physical disk then it will continue to do so...

If Copy+ is ok with the disk then I'll investigate by creating a debug version of +Extract that you can try. I can only offer support in the evenings/weekends for this.

Sorry for the hassle.
neildo
Expert

Postby newbobble » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks for the responses so far - at least I'm getting somewhere . . . or was.

Sadly when using copy+ I'm getting a file system read error:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23) at LBA 000132a7

So it looks like the HDD despite my handing it with kidgloves is going bye bye :(
newbobble

Postby pcbbc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 am

Doesn't sound too good, but no need to give up hope yet.
Is there an option to ignore the CRC error in Copy+? Does it get you any further?
Have you tried the disk manufacturers tools? Sometimes these can attempt to correct bad sectors.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby newbobble » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 pm

This is weird, I've just put the drive back in the sky box and it works fine - not a sign of errors.

Ho hum, I can ignore the error(s), but then copy+ defaults and tries to backup the entire drive instead of just the 20 or so recordings I want, plus it gives me an estimated time of around 4 days to do it.! :roll:

It's a Seagate drive, so I'll try their SeaTools utils to try and resurrect the thing or at least overright any bad sector, but it's not looking hopeful.

I'm thinking that it's actually the 'format header info' because +extract version 0.4.0.6 doesn't recognise the drive as a XTV drive format - I need a util that doesn't care about the drive format, just the data!!! :lol:

Not giving up yet, but probably will be soon.
newbobble

Postby pcbbc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 pm

newbobble wrote:Ho hum, I can ignore the error(s), but then copy+ defaults and tries to backup the entire drive instead of just the 20 or so recordings I want, plus it gives me an estimated time of around 4 days to do it.! :roll:
I can't see why a CRC error would cause that?
Or are you saying it doesn't display the planner contents?

Are you sure you are "selecting" your recordings correctly? It is NOT just a matter of clicking on them so they turn blue in the Copy+ planner view.
The default for Copy+ is to copy everything (otherwise it would only copy one program if anyone accidentally clicked on the planner view - which, for most users, would be counter-productive).
You need to right click and Omit or Include - See Selecting Recordings to Copy.

I'm thinking that it's actually the 'format header info' because +extract version 0.4.0.6 doesn't recognise the drive as a XTV drive format - I need a util that doesn't care about the drive format, just the data!!! :lol:
The SeaTools utility will be completely disk format agnostic (it only cares about individual sectors).

Log files from Copy+ can be found in c:\Program Files\Copy+ (please CLOSE Copy+ before taking copies, or the log will be empty or incomplete).
These may help me identify which sectors are bad in which files, and hence devise a repair.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby newbobble » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I can't see why a CRC error would cause that?
Or are you saying it doesn't display the planner contents?

Oh it lists the recordings brilliantly, can sort them, identify them and select them (Right Click > Include) but when I hit copy, the error screen shows up and if I click ignore, it doesn't matter what I've selected it starts trying to copy the whole drive.

I'll try seatools when I finish work tonight and report back.

Thanks again for the support so far.
newbobble

Postby neildo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

newbobble wrote:I'll try seatools when I finish work tonight and report back.

Thanks again for the support so far.

Can I suggest you grab the bootable ISO CD version of Seatools and not the Windows application version. Basically you want to avoid exposing the drive to Windows as much as possible. Windows likes to 'personalise' any writable drive that gets attached (hence Stuarts excellent XTVFS read only driver). Using Seatools in Windows to repair the drive would undoubtably corrupt most if not all of your recordings (my cynical view of things talking here).
neildo
Expert

Postby pcbbc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:33 pm

newbobble wrote:Oh it lists the recordings brilliantly, can sort them, identify them and select them (Right Click > Include) but when I hit copy, the error screen shows up and if I click ignore, it doesn't matter what I've selected it starts trying to copy the whole drive.
It will copy all the recording directories regardless.
But when it gets to a recording that has been omitted, the actual recording (STR file) will not be copied.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby newbobble » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Success - not perfect success but success none the less.

Seatools refused to work (DOS just froze and Windows said it couldn't perform a check) but I guess something clicked into place.

+extract still doesn't recognise the drive as valid, but copy+ now allows me to copy to a backup file. Not in it's usual way but . . .

Essentially I start off by by inverting all the files it found, then un-selecting the files I wanted. Counterintuitive but it works.

Click Copy - get the error message
Click Ignore -

Off it went as nice as you like.

On to +extract

Right click and mount drive image

Convert files and on to . . .

+Project

To convert

Result, one seriously happy 4 year old, and one relieved dad!

Thanks for the help and indeed the proggies. :)
newbobble

Postby pcbbc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 pm

newbobble wrote:Essentially I start off by by inverting all the files it found, then un-selecting the files I wanted. Counterintuitive but it works.
That's how it is meant to work?
If you weren't unselecting recordings to copy (only selecting) then everything would have been still been selected? Remember, the default state when you start is everything is selected.

In fact at this point I'm not even sure if Right Click "Copy" would even be an option? See step 2 in the instructions.
You need to have the recordings you aren't copying grey, and the recordings you do want to copy with a white background.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to +Extract General Support