Samsung Sky HD + Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB

Which replacement drives can you use and which do people recommend?

Samsung Sky HD + Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB

Postby DJ-Nike » Thu May 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi all,

Just thought after reading everyones experience on here I would make a note of mine in case anyone plans on doing the same.

I recently bought a 1TB Western Digital drive (WD10EVDS) Drive from Ebuyer (£64 at the time of writing):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=617

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179332

I did buy originally the WD10EARS which was slightly cheaper but when I double checked that it would work with the SkyHD box I sent it back and got a new drive on order. The reason for this was that the drive was an AFD (Advanced Format Drive) which means that it works brilliant for the new operating systems like Windows Vist and Windows 7 but not so much for Windows XP and the drive has to be formatted in such a way that the sectors will be populated correctly, the same went for the Sky OS. In tech speak the drive clusters were 4k instead of the standard 512 bytes which can make a big difference to performance.

I will be intending on upgrading the drive in the SkyHD box this weekend and will report back with more details of the existing drive, new drive and the model of the box etc.

As I have done alot of research into what drives work and dont I was wondering if anyone has found a chart/website that lists models that have been tried and tested?? If not, would anyone like to contribute their findings as I was thinking of making a website to do so, i.e. Sky Box Make/Modle, Old Drive, New Drive, % error (simple yes or no maybe). The site would be searchable and links/adverts are welcomed with no login required.

I am sure a site like that would be helpful for everyone going down the same road as we all have at one stage? any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
DJ-Nike

Re: Samsung Sky HD + Western Digital WD10EVDS 1TB

Postby DJ-Nike » Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I installed the new drive today using Copy+ to copy the old planner to the new drive.

The old drive was a Seagate 300G which gave me 53% free space, after installing the Western Digital 1TB I now have 93% free space with the existing programs that I had recorded and the up-comming programs to be recorded still in the list.

The copy from one drive to the other only took 28 minutes. I installed the XTVFS Read Only Driver, rebooted with both the new and the old drive, installed Copy+ and told the software to copy all the programs.

Done some basic tests and it appears to be working as expected.

* Play old recordings
    * Test live pause
    * Record HD
    * Record SD
    * Play back new recordings

Really pleased with the new drive and how quick and easy it was to do, getting into the SkyHD box was quite simple.

[edit]
Details on installation are now available here:

http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=769
Last edited by DJ-Nike on Mon May 31, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ-Nike

Postby pcbbc » Mon May 31, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for posting your upgrade experiences!
There is actually a dedicated sub forum for box upgrade guides, so if you would like to make a post there you are most welcome.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby DJ-Nike » Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 am

Thank you, will move the information when I get the images together.
DJ-Nike

Postby DJ-Nike » Mon May 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Just dontated, thanks for the great software.
DJ-Nike

Postby pcbbc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for the donation. Looking forward to reading you guide!
Edit: I see you've already posted. :D
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby d3fy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendation on the drive. I've just upgraded and used one of these drives in my Samsung. £10 more than the cheaper WD drives but well worth the hassle free install.

Only thing I would add to this is I did not know that I could remove the Anytime content before i started the copy from the old drive and wasted time copying stuff I really did not want. :twisted:
d3fy

Postby Cooper8 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the information.
Cooper8

Return to HDD Compatibility & Reviews