Single Programme Backup.

What would you like to see in future releases? No promises, mind you!

Single Programme Backup.

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:56 pm

Is this possible?
If i had one programme that i wanted to backup to my PC.?
AvidHotstuff

Re: Single Programme Backup.

Postby pcbbc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:10 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:Is this possible?
If i had one programme that i wanted to backup to my PC.?
For Free to Air Channels (those you can watch without a viewing card) yes. Everything else is encrypted - so NO.
Use +Extract here.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:14 pm

So to backup any encrypted programmes , it must back up the whole disk , so it would be better to wait until i delete everything else , then just backup the disk with 1 programme on it?
Thanks
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:24 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:So to backup any encrypted programmes , it must back up the whole disk , so it would be better to wait until i delete everything else , then just backup the disk with 1 programme on it?
Thanks
By "backup" are you meaning:
1. For watching on your PC
OR
2. For restoring to the Sky+ box later?

+Extract provides the solution to 1.
Copy+ sort of provides the solution to 2, but at the moment it is not possible to merge backups. So anything you backup must be restored in its entirety (thus overwriting anyting on the destination disk).
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm

Oh yes , sorry need to be clearer.
I want to back up , ie keep forever to restore to my SkyHD HDD , one programme i recorded in HD , ie i wont care about the destination drive being wiped.

Actually How does backing up to PC for viewing work , is this for free to air recordings?
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:Oh yes , sorry need to be clearer.
I want to back up , ie keep forever to restore to my SkyHD HDD , one programme I recorded in HD. i.e. I won't care about the destination drive being wiped.
That's fine then. Just select the one show (right click and "omit" everything you don't want) then select and XTV image file as your destination in Copy+.
Be aware that if Sky change the planner, disk formats, or cards your backup may stop working at some point (you should be okay for 1 or 2 planner updates, but after that the box software may fail to auto upgrade).

Actually How does backing up to PC for viewing work , is this for free to air recordings?
Not my software. You'll need to use a mixture of freely available tools, including +Extract, ProjectX and some DVD authoring software. For example DVDAuthorGUI.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm

pcbbc wrote:
AvidHotstuff wrote:Oh yes , sorry need to be clearer.
I want to back up , ie keep forever to restore to my SkyHD HDD , one programme I recorded in HD. i.e. I won't care about the destination drive being wiped.
That's fine then. Just select the one show (right click and "omit" everything you don't want) then select and XTV image file as your destination in Copy+.
Be aware that if Sky change the planner, disk formats, or cards your backup may stop working at some point (you should be okay for 1 or 2 planner updates, but after that the box software may fail to auto upgrade).

So are you saying if i backup a programme by itself , ie omit , i could run into problems when sky change things , but not if i just backup the disk as it is , ie full planner ?
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:So are you saying if I backup a programme by itself, i.e. omit, I could run into problems when sky change things. But not if I just backup the disk as it is, i.e. full planner?
No, either way you may have problems.
One EPG update and you will be fine - The box has to be able to cope with that, as when it boots with the new software for the first time the disk is in the previous format and has to be converted.

But there is no knowing how long that backward compatibility will last. It has been broken in the past (I know of one person who put quite old disks in and lost everything).

For maximum security I suppose you should update your backups with each EPG version (by restoring to Sky box and then re-backing up). But really you should remember Sky+ is just a time-shifter, not a long-term storage device.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby AvidHotstuff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:05 pm

pcbbc wrote:
AvidHotstuff wrote:So are you saying if I backup a programme by itself, i.e. omit, I could run into problems when sky change things. But not if I just backup the disk as it is, i.e. full planner?
No, either way you may have problems.
One EPG update and you will be fine - The box has to be able to cope with that, as when it boots with the new software for the first time the disk is in the previous format and has to be converted.

But there is no knowing how long that backward compatibility will last. It has been broken in the past (I know of one person who put quite old disks in and lost everything).

For maximum security I suppose you should update your backups with each EPG version (by restoring to Sky box and then re-backing up). But really you should remember Sky+ is just a time-shifter, not a long-term storage device.

Ah i see , so if i backup after each epg/sky update , i shouldn't have any problems?
AvidHotstuff

Postby pcbbc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:37 pm

AvidHotstuff wrote:Ah I see. So if I backup after each EPG/Sky update, I shouldn't have any problems?
That's the best way to avoid it.
If you attempt to restore from a backup that is more than a few EPG versions ago, I wouldn't like to vouch for what will happen.
The way the planner files are designed, it should be able to cope - But Sky probably don't put much (read any) testing into coping with severely back level planner data. There's much more important things to focus on!

In response to your earlier +Extract query, here is a brief tutorial in the FAQ section.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Return to Copy+ Feature Requests