Mpg file won't play

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

Mpg file won't play

Postby Whiskeymac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm

I have copied a BBC file from my SkyHD without incident and used the gui converter to produce a .mpg file. This won't play in the latest versions of both WMP and VLC media players. Processing it through eRightsft's Super produced a playable .avi file, but of poor quality. Clearly that process could be tweaked, but could you suggest why the players couldn't play the .mpg format and what I might do to facilitate play.

Many thanks. It's an impressive package otherwise.
Whiskeymac

Re: Mpg file won't play

Postby neildo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 pm

What version of +Extract are you using?
neildo
Expert

Postby Whiskeymac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that it's 0.3.0.7
Whiskeymac

Postby neildo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Don't use the converter in 0.3.0.7, its not HD aware. The only free app that I know of that might be able to convert for you is TsRemux.
neildo
Expert

Postby Whiskeymac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm

I think that mentioning that it is a Sky HD box was a bit of a red herring as the recording wasn't an HD one.
Whiskeymac

Postby Whiskeymac » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm

I have been experimenting and here are the results.

Using Extract Plus (free version) to create an mpg file from files extracted from my Sky HD box, but from a standard, non HD recording, produced a file that was unplayable on both WMP and VLC, as reported earlier. I ran this mpg file through Super and, at first, produced a low res avi file. After changing the parameters in Super, a good quality, higher res avi file was produced and it is probable that it could be cranked up further. This then was a good result but at the cost of appreciable processing time, not helped by having to go through two processes.

I then repeated all this with an HD recording. The result was the same, but with the significant difference that the Video/Audio synchronisation was hugely out, getting progressively further separated very rapidly. This was therefore a failure.

I noted that Super lists str file conversion amongst its repertoire, but trying that failed. Research indicates that there are several file types with the str suffix, notably a gaming format, and that is maybe what the program was expecting to convert.

I tried processing both str files through TsRemux. I admit to being confused as the program's bumpf seems to suggest that the program isn't designed for such file conversion. Assuming I proceded correctly, I selected the input file, "browsed" for the output file, adding the name "test", and pressed the Remux button. The result was a relatively small file that wouldn't play.

So clearly Extract Plus extracts files successfully, but doesn't appear to produce playable mpg files unless further processing is carried out. I'm assuming that a Sky HD box produces an identical file to a Sky Plus box, when not tuned to an HD channel.

Comments would be appreciated since presumably my experience is different to that of others.
Whiskeymac

Postby neildo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:25 pm

The free version of +Extract is simply '+Extract' with its final version being 0.3.0.7. It included a STR converter based on the source of TsRemux.

Whereas +Extract Plus 0.4.0.0 (not free) and above included a alpha/beta MPEG2 converter (not HD (H.263) aware) , which is still in active development and produces varying results for users. Currently in 0.4.0.5 its been excluded from the application while further development is being done on it.
neildo
Expert

Postby Whiskeymac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification and info nieldo. I hope my feedback was of some use.

Good luck with the converter which would be a better and quicker solution than mine, if it can produce a file that is immediately playable.
Whiskeymac

Postby pcbbc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 pm

For SD content I use ProjectX and have never had an issue with sync or anything else.
Tips: Using +Extract to copy to DVD
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Whiskeymac » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm not sure why you're telling me how to create a DVD pcbbc. Once I have a viable, playable file, I play it on a TV screen via HDMI lead, or I convert it to a format that will load onto my iPod, for playing in my motorhome. DVDs are just an inconvenience.
Whiskeymac

Postby pcbbc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Whiskeymac wrote:I'm not sure why you're telling me how to create a DVD pcbbc. Once I have a viable, playable file, I play it on a TV screen via HDMI lead, or I convert it to a format that will load onto my iPod, for playing in my motorhome. DVDs are just an inconvenience.
Because the same instructions tell you how to transcode to a MPEG2 program stream (select M2P as output in ProjectX), which seems to be what you are trying to do?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby Whiskeymac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Now call me old fashioned, but I'm not impressed by the following in the projectx readme file:

"This program is completely designed as a test, therefore it mostly
implements its own code instead of a derivation of an ISO reference
source or any other code.

Do not expect any useful output, even if that may be possible.

This program is provided in sourcecode form only,
because it is meant for educational purposes.
Binaries of this project itself will not be included (may not apply to external libraries)

If you need an executable, you have to compile the package by yourself,
or you ask someone to do so for you."

Now, I was attracted by Extract+ as being a program that would extract and convert a recorded file. It does, but not a playable file. This Projectx solution requires me to become a programmer, in order to overcome this difficiency. I am too old and too stubborn for that. Probably too ignorant as well. It's a bit like being given a car which doesn't go around corners. Though grateful for the free car, the only way to get it to corner is to learn how to forge steering components.

All I want is to be able to convert an extracted file in one process. If you can, kindly, supply me with an executable which will do this, then thank you in advance.
Whiskeymac

Postby pcbbc » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Whiskeymac wrote:This Projectx solution requires me to become a programmer, in order to overcome this difficiency.
Hardly.
The disclaimer is the standard kind of disclaimer you'll see on a lot of software projects, especially free ones.

I repeat that ProjectX is extremely good at transcoding SD MPEG2 PS to TS which will be playable on your PC. There is a Windows installer (link in the post I linked to) which means you do not require any Java experience to set it up.
The download you want is the one on this link: Projectx compiled with Java included here (20MB)

It is NOT difficult to use at all, once you find your way around. Certainly no more difficult than +Extract. In fact you can load the STR file and start converting it in about 6 mouse clicks.

If you are having problems with the instructions I provided, or do not understand them, please tell me where you are stuck and I will endeavour to help you.
However, unfortunately, I suspect you really do not want any help...
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby neildo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Try this for conversion: MPEG Streamclip
neildo
Expert

Postby Whiskeymac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Does this convert .str files Nieldo..........before I start uninstalling Quicktime and installing an alternative? It doesn't have .str as one of its listed file types.
Whiskeymac

Next

Return to +Extract General Support