New User issue with COPY+

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

New User issue with COPY+

Postby zulfikarmd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am

Hi,
I have downloaded and installed COPY+ as per instructions but when I run it on my laptop i dont see SKY+ drive. I want to copy recorded programs from SKY+ onto my laptop. Can someone please advice?

Thanks.
zulfikarmd

Re: New User issue with COPY+

Postby pcbbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 am

zulfikarmd wrote:Hi,
I have downloaded and installed Copy+ as per instructions, but when I run it on my laptop I don't see SKY+ drive. I want to copy recorded programs from SKY+ onto my laptop. Can someone please advice?
Thanks.
How is your Sky+ drive connected to your PC?
Is the disk visible in Windows Disk Management?
If so, what is showing there (screen shots if possible please).
If not, it is a hardware problem with your machine/disk/USB caddy. You need to resolve that first.

You are aware that Copy+ is not the correct tool for copying programs to your laptop?
For that you would need +Extract. However if Copy+ can not see the drive, +Extract won't either. :?
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby zulfikarmd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

I can not see drive on the windows disk management either. I can see external drive and my laptops drives using Extract+ problem only is with SKY+ box. could this be issue with USB cable I am using? Thanks for the quick response.
zulfikarmd

Postby pcbbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:14 am

zulfikarmd wrote:I can not see drive on the windows disk management either. I can see external drive and my laptops drives using Extract+ problem only is with SKY+ box. could this be issue with USB cable I am using? Thanks for the quick response.
Reading between the lines here:
You have connected your Sky+ box directly to your PC using a USB cable? :oops: :o

This will not work! In fact it could damage things so disconnect immediately.

Firstly: The USB sockets on Sky boxes are completely non functional.
Basically, the Sky firmware does not contain any drivers (Windows Mass Storage Device or otherwise) for communicating with hard drives (or anything else for that matter).
Secondly: Even if they did, they would be Bus Master not Slave Devices, which is what your PC is expecting. This should be obvious from the fact that both your PC and the Sky box have Type A USB sockets.

Type A Sockets = Master devices which can talk to USB Slave devices with B sockets.
Type B Sockets = Slave devices you can connect to Master devices with a type A socket.

This is exactly the same as if you tried to connect two PCs together with the cable you have - It will not work either*
* assuming it is a plain straight through cable and not a bridge cable

But even a bridge cable will not work with Sky+ for the reasons mentioned above...

To use Sky+ drives with Copy+ and +Extract it is necessary to physically connect to the hard drives by removing them from the box and attaching directly to your PC or USB caddy.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby zulfikarmd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:28 am

thanks again for the quick response. I will remove the SKY+ HDD and attach it to my laptop directly and see if it works. I will get back to you once done.
zulfikarmd

Return to +Extract General Support