How many users + future support question

Having problems with +Extract? Ask in here

How many users + future support question

Postby paul1962 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi,

Just wondering how many users there are of +extract and whether anyone is going to take up future support/development ?

I've never used +extract as I have my own software which does a similar job but might be prepared to tidy it up and make it available for others.

Are there features missing which users would like ?
Are there enough users to make it worthwhile ?

Paul
paul1962

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Paul,

A good question. I'd suggest you direct it to the author - his contact details are on the +Extract page. He may have a better idea of number of users.

I know he is selling the source code.

David.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby paul1962 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:23 am

Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

I did send an email to the author a couple of weeks ago but I've sent another earlier this week in case he didn't get the first.

The only email address I could find for him is the link in +extract itself - his "contact me" link on his website is broken. I'm wondering whether he reads emails to his +extract address anymore ?

I guess the fact that nobody has replied to this thread answers my question ?

Regards
Paul
paul1962

Postby pcbbc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 am

I think it's safe to say Neil has had a less than enthusiastic response to +Extract, with most people just asking questions like "I've connected my Sky box via USB and it's not working" or "I can't get my Sky Movies I've extracted to play" or "What do I play these STR files with".

If you want to release your own software, please go ahead. However I don't think Neil will be giving you any clues about how to develop it or what to include!

But you will soon find out what features users would like once you release because they will tell you.

As to popularity, in the fairly short time +Extract has been available for download here, you can see the numbers of downloads. That should give you a rough idea.
pcbbc
Site Admin

Postby paul1962 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not expecting Neil to give any clues about development or ideas but I was kind of hoping users of +extract might comment on here.

When I first contacted Neil it was to see if it was worthwhile considering future support/development of +extract itself as I thought it would be a shame to see the project die especially if there were a lot of users who liked it (even though I've never used it myself).
Having said that my thinking is now moving away from that idea.

Although I already have my own working software it isn't in a releasable state. It would require some work to tidy it up, make it more user friendly and remove part of it so I was hoping to determine if there was enough interest to make it worthwhile.

I realise from previous software I've released that you can't go into this without being prepared to spend time supporting users and while you will always get a constant stream of silly/dumb questions you just have to let them wash over you.

Anyway, congratulations on Copy+. A great bit of software.
paul1962

Return to +Extract General Support