I used Parallels and everything worked fine

Got some nice words to say? Then say them here (although we have the right to quote you on the website, if you do so).

I used Parallels and everything worked fine

Postby gingrrr » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Hello,

Despite the useful warning not to use Parallels to Copy+ my SkyHD 300GB to an old 500GB Seagate Barracuda drive, I found that everything worked flawlessly.

I had to work out how to delete a volume - as I could not do it on in Parallels ( probably my lack of Windows( Vista ) knowledge ).
I am using 4.0.3848.450204 - which is not the latest version - because I'm fed up paying for an upgrade every couple of months.
I am using Windows Vista - running in OSX 10.6.5 on a 2.16GHz intel Core Duo Macbook Pro with 3GB of Ram - I still used my Laptop to do some Flash development at the same time. I had to use a USB HUB to connect everything up.

To remove a volume in OSX 10.6 - use disk utility. Click on the 'Device' not the 'Child' property in the list in Disk Utility, then click the Partition Tab, and click on the Partition. Hit delete to remove it - it's that simple. Then your disk will be recognised as an unformatted disk.
Allow OSX to ignore it, but Parallels must not ignore it.

The new disk is very quiet and low powered, and makes my Sky+HD box feel zippier to use.

I ignored the instructions at my own risk, as I had already mounted the drive in OSX and Windows and had a snoop around - to see if VLC could play anything ( No ).

I had to transfer the contents to an image on a smaller IDE disk before transferring it back to 500GB because I only have 1 Sata USB enclosure, but that was not too bad.

Thanks - I'll make a small donation ( but I have not worked for a month ! So it'll be small )

Thankyou again

gingrrr
gingrrr

Return to Feedback